Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

I paid a friend rent to stay at her house for one month. In a verbal agreement, the month was from August 21-September 21, which was the time frame I needed. I ended up leaving on September 14 due to personal issues my friend was having. She found out her boyfriend, who was also staying there was a registered sex offender and she also had informed me that she was moving before the Sept. 21 date. With all this in play, I ended on leaving her home on Sept. 14, just shy of the Sept. 21 date. I would like to know if I am due a portion of the rent money back? She is saying I owe her rent because I did not stay the entire month of September, however, that was not a part of the initial verbal agreement. There is no real written lease or agreement, only email communication about when I would arrive and the fact that I would only need to be there for one month (August 21-Sept. 21).

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Per your description of this oral lease agreement, if you only stayed in

this rental facility three weeks, it would seem that you're due

a refund of one week 's rent.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia