Washington  |  Family Law

I filed for divorce one week ago and have not had my husband served yet. I would like to modify some parts of the proposal. In my original paperwork I asked for spousal maintenance but I have since changed my mind. Also, I would like to set up a whole new parenting plan which is different than the one I proposed last week. Can I modify the divorce before I have him served? If so, will it cost me anything?

Answered on: 7/12/10, 4:12 pm by P. Jayson Thibodaux

Once you have paid for filing - there should be no additional fee when filing additional documents.

If you have not served the pleadings, you can amend the documents, file with the clerk, and serve the amended. Especially if you are going to seek a default based on what you have served. Make sure you note on the proof of service that the documents are the amended versions: Amended Proposed Parenting Plan.

Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux 116 Avenue A, Ste. B Snohomish, WA 98290