Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

legal eviction

Do I as the landlord have to hire a lawyer to file the legal paperwork to have a tenant legally evicted?

Asked on 3/03/09, 7:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thuong-Tri Nguyen Thuong-Tri Legal Services, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, a natural person can self-represent

There is no legal requirement that a natural person hires an attorney to represent the personal in court. A natural person has the right to represent himself/herself in court.

However, in an unlawful detainer (eviction) proceeding, the statutory procedures must be followed to the letter. A party that fails to follow the statutory procedures likely will lose the case and may be ordered to pay the other side's attorney's fees.

Unless you want to learn or have the time to learn the procedures and laws, it may be cost effective to hire an attorney.

In an eviction proceeding, the prevailing landlord generally can ask the court to order the tenant to pay attorney's fees for the landlord. If the tenant does not have money to pay rent, the tenant likely will not have the money to pay attorney's fees for the landlord either.

Read more
Answered on 3/03/09, 7:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now