Washington  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/14/13, 2:00 pm

can i file court papers from any county in washington? my case as been in spokane but now i live in snahomish county and i cant drive 300 miles every time i have to file a paper. if not how do i get the juisdiction changed over to where i live with the kids. it is a family law case on going since 2006

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/15/13, 7:51 am by Thuong-Tri Nguyen

No, there is no exchange of documents among the courts. Wherever your case is, that is the court where you file your documents.

There is no requirement that a person has to physically be at a courthouse to file documents at that court. You should be able to mail the documents (properly addressed and stamped) to the office of the clerk of the court where you want to file.

Many courts also have programs by which documents may be filed electronically.

You should check with the court's clerk how your documents can be filed. Often, the information is available at the website for the court.

In family law cases, it may be possible to change the venue to where the children are living.

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Thuong-Tri Legal Services, PLLC 879 RAINIER AV N, STE A106 Renton, WA 98057

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search