Washington  |  Family Law

My ex quit her job and is now on disability and is receiving TANF, which prompted a child support request from me, of which I cannot afford. She claims she is trying to get it dismissed as she does not want support from me. How can I get this removed so I do not have to pay the support?

Answered on: 9/18/13, 11:25 am by Amir John Showrai

That will never happen under current law. The whole point is that so long as your ex is using public dollars to support your child, the government wants to know that both parents are doing their part to provide for the child. The only way around you having to pay is if you yourself were on TANF as well. Your ex cannot ask for public assistance and then refuse help from you. The law simply does not work that way.

Support will be established based on your income and the Washington State Child Support Schedule Worksheets. Search the internet and you will see the worksheets and can get an idea of what your support will be.

The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC 520 Pike Street, Suite 2500 Seattle, WA 98101+1385