Washington  |  Military Law

''Failure to Adapt''

I have been in the Army for one year; most of that year has been in TRADOC. I am currently at my first duty station; I have been late to a few times, and am having trouble understanding / communicating with my fist line supervisor. There is some talk of me being discharged ''Failure to adapt.''

Could this be a blessing in disguise with one year service don't I keep my GI Bill and possibly part of my sign-on bonus?

Alternatively I could loose rank, pay and face 45 days extra duty. (Working till 0000 7days a week!)

This sucks as I have a wife and three children. My wife can't work as the youngest of our children is very young and we feel like most of her income would go to child care anyway!

The questions are:

Is it even possible for me to get a ''Failure to adapt'' discharge at this point?

If so what benefits do I stand to gain vs loose (including PCS home etc.)

Please don't misunderstand I am interested in re-enlisting or possibly even trying to go medical officer after completing my education. I am not a punk or a ''Gold-digger.''

I just feel it may be much more economically viable to accept a discharge provided it is under honorable conditions or un-categorized assuming it is RE-1 or RE-2.