Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Washington

Hello,

For reasons I will not go into I have declined to be the trustee for my mother. However I have reason to believe she is going to forge my signature to the legal documents binding me into a trustee position (shorty after the refusal on my part she attempted to get a hold of my SSN).

If she does do this what can I do to legally fight it? I don't think I would be able to confirm this has happened until after she is deceased. Talking to her about it now would likely do no good as she would simply deny it.

Charles Cruikshank Cruikshank Law Office-Since 1975

I believe that you mean "personal representative" or "executor" of her probate estate after her death. Either way, you cannot be forced into this role involuntarily. And your social security number would not be needed to appoint you, voluntarily or not. If she should name you to act as her executor and you do not wish to take that appointment on, you can just refuse to accept.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Washington