Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Washington

My father recently passed, he ad approx 1.5 million in assets.he left the house and approx 600,000 retirement account to his wife.He left my sister and i approx 600,000 in 2 separate brokerage accounts.The money he left us was directly inherited from his mother and aunts.He left us as 50/50 beneficiaries but his wife is dragging her feet saying it has to go to probate (washington is a community property state0 she is well aware of my dads intentions,they always kept their money and any assets completely separate.should we get an attorney involved (she has one) or just wait to see if she will sign the paper to let us get the money.

Charles Cruikshank Cruikshank Law Office-Since 1975

Engaging your own attorney may slow down he probate, instead of expediting it. I'd recommend that only if the process appears to drag without good reason.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Washington