Legal Question in Education Law in India

Respected Expert,

I have completed my MCA in the year of 2006 and teaching in an engineering college for the last 5 years.

1. I took admission in M.Tech Computer Sc.(4 semester course) part time course at UP Technical University in May 2011 and this course is available for only teachers(classes are conducted in summer vacation every year). Rest of the time I remain committed to my teaching.

2. In the mean time(september 2013, M.Tech thesis was still to be submittd), I was selected for PhD program through an entrance examination at an autonomous college of the same university(UP technical) and I got registered in PhD course work on behalf of my MCA degree. . my college did not take any objection on it as i have submitted that my M.Tech result was awaited.

3. I have passed 3 semesters exams successfully and submitted M.Tech thesis in December 2013 for the award of the degree.

4. In February 2014, University asked me to make some necessary changes in my M.Tech Thesis for evaluation.

5. In this way, I have to resubmit my M. Tech. thesis and viva on M. Tech thesis is still to be conducted by the university and I am also pursuing my PhD from an autonomous college of the same university.

If university finds my current status that I am doing two courses, I have a doubt that university can cancel my admission and even degree on later stages. Although, the academic sessions are not same when I took admission on both courses.

6. My PhD is a regular course and M. Tech. sequential is a part time course.

7. Does university has any right to take any measure on my M. Tech degree or my admission on PhD course.

please tell me that can i legally be registered in PhD course at this college as my M.Tech thesis is still to be submitted because university has asked me to make some changes on M.Tech thesis.

Although, I have already taken my seat in Phd course on behalf of MCA degree. my college did not take any objection on it as i have submitted that my M.Tech result is awaited.

could you please advise or send me some judgments regarding my matter.

Waiting for your response.



Asked on 3/23/14, 3:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Rajkumar,

In normal circumstances, a student is enrolled for doing a Phd and it is pursued and awarded only on successful completion of M.Tech degree. Both, the M.Tech degree course and the Phd involve approval of the thesis submitted by the student. Since the University has returned back your M.Tech thesis for certain alterations to be made therein, you are yet to be declared as a successful M.Tech degree holder. In the light of this sequence, since the University may raise objections, I suggest you first get your M.Tech thesis successfully completed and immediately thereafter submit your advanced thesis for the Phd. evaluation and award.


Read more
Answered on 3/23/14, 4:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in India