Legal Question in Family Law in Ethiopia

it has been 2 years since me and my wife have got married. The marriage happened while she was 8months pregnant. now after 1 and 6months later (that is also age of our baby), we decided on divorce, after being simply isolated for four months, While the child is with my family. Then we submitteed an agreement for divorce ,child custody and property, we had agreed to brink up the child with me thinking the difficulties with her and the advantage of the child. Then the court told us to first go to sycology (SINELIBONA) . when we go there she changed her idea saying she needs some allowance from me and wants child with her. Then this time i decided to tell evrything the advisors, That she is not illigible for the child that she is addicted to smoking, has no good behavoir and no income at all and other so many things that i have geniun evidences. They also saw that the child has better relation with me, by looking at the reaction of the child. We have appointment 15 Days later. i am worried what decision may be by court. can i reclaim if custody is granted for her, while the child is with me. becouse am worried she needs the allowance for her addiction. and am worried the child will be victim. what could i say to the court if they tell me to give him for her, Can i bring my evidences to higher courts while the child is with me , Without giving her.I know i have evidences,

Asked on 12/12/14, 10:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dear Sir;

Coming to your request we understand that you are in the process of a divorce with your wife. We have also understood that due to your wife�s behavior and addiction, you wanted to have the custody for your child. As you mentioned you have told the advisor that your wife is an addict and has no income of her own. We believe this will be a good reason for the court not to give the child custody for your wife. However that needs to be proved by tangible evidence to that effect.

However if the court decides the child�s custody for your wife irrespective of your evidences top the above objection raised by you, you can make an appeal after the final decision of your divorce and child custody is given by the lower court. You cannot make your appeal before the court proceeding is over.

For further information here is the full contact address and location of our law office.

Fikadu Asfaw and Associates Law Office is found on Ambasel Building, 6th Floor, Ethio-China Street, on Bole Road, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Telephone: 00251114700612, 00251116551720

Cell Phone: 00251911623555; 00251958001090

Email: [email protected]

We look forward to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Read more
Answered on 12/14/14, 11:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ethiopia