Legal Question in Family Law in Nigeria

Would a family court in Nigeria grant sole custody to the father if the mother of the children (16 & 14) whole heartedly consent to it? My ex and I still maintain a cordial relationship about the children, I have been financially and materially responsible for their welfare and general sustainance, I live abroad and want them to continue their education in my country of residence and their mother find it wonderful too, I want sole custody to avoid unforseen circumstances that could arise in the future and that could keep the children with me till they attain adult age of 18 to make certain decisions for themselves.

Asked on 2/14/18, 12:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rotimi Ogunlade Rotimi Ogunlade & Associates

The best interest of a child is the paramount consideration in determining who gets custody of the child. Granting of shared custody is not enshrined in the child rights laws but it happens as a matter of practice. If you are able to convince the court to exercise its discretion in granting sole custody to you, then you will get it. For further assistance or clarification feel free to contact me via [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/14/18, 1:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nigeria