Legal Question in Family Law in United Kingdom

Ive recently got a non-molestation order against my ex but im also pregnant. i know he is the dad but he is denying everything. he said he wont turn up to court to do a dna, change his name and 'run' away. Firstly even with an order can a judge order him to turn up and secondly what happens if he dosent turn up. Ive got nothing to hide and no 100% the baby is his. in one breath he is accepting it then he is saying it not his. ive given him multipul chances to step up but he keeps on throwing them back in my face. Also how can i get him to help me prepear for the baby during my pregnancy, im already a single mum and he has really messed things up for me. im worried i wont be able to buy things before the baby is here and that social services will deem me unfit and take my daughter away and the baby when its born, he had also threatened to make up lies to social to make things hard for me. help please!!!!

Asked on 7/10/13, 12:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Hall QualitySolicitors Keith Park

You will have to wait until your baby is born then you have 2 options. Firstly you should apply to the Child Support Agency to get maintenance off the baby�s father. If he is adamant that he isn�t the father he will then have to volunteer for Paternity testing to avoid paying.

Alternatively you can apply for a declaration of Paternity through the courts. If he won�t co-operate the court may infer from his non-attendance and non co-operation that he is the father.

You may be eligible for limited Public Funding (Legal Aid) for this, but this is extremely limited now.

We would certainly like to discuss this with you in more detail so please visit our website and complete the form on the right hand side and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 7:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in United Kingdom