Legal Question in Family Law in United Kingdom


im marrying a Uk citizen. iwant to know if we dont leave in Uk can i get UK passport?

Asked on 4/21/12, 2:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

By virtue of marrying a UK Citizen, you do not automatically instantly become a UK Citizen.

You will need to comply and complete the formalities for naturalization and residency in the UK which are briefly stated below :

There are seven simple requirements you need to meet before you apply:

1) you are aged 18 or over; and

2) you are of sound mind; and

3) you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and

4) you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and

5) you are of good character; and

6) you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and

7) you meet the residential requirements; or

your husband, wife or civil partner is in Crown or designated service outside the United


Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

a) have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and

b) have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and

c) have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and

d) have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and

e) have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

If you have been outside the United Kingdom for six months or more in any one of the five years of the residence period you will have broken your residence. This does not apply if:

the absence was due to military service; or

all absences were for under 12 months and were for important reasons such as pregnancy, childcare, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas posting.

If you leave the United Kingdom for a continuous period of two years or more you will lose your permanent residence status.

If you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the United Kingdom you will be considered settled providing you have not been away for two years or more since you received ILR.

You can mail me for further on-line legal advice at [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 4/21/12, 9:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in United Kingdom