Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in United Kingdom

My landlord is asking me to sign a Deed of consent and Charge form for her mortgage company that says that I must charge all my claim to the flat and things to the mortgage company in case my landlord fails to pay her mortgage.

Do I sign this????What does it mean????

Asked on 5/02/14, 8:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arent Lievens Advocates Lievens & Lievens

The effect of the document is to place any rights you acquire the property by virtue of your occupation or

financial contributions behind that of the lender from whom your landlord is borrowing money.

Point of this is that the lender is concerned that if they had to repossess the property,

you will not be able to seek to override that repossession based on any occupancy rights you have

which notwithstanding your signing the consent, you may be able to successfully achieve.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/14, 10:05 am
Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

You are concerned with the landlord and not with the mortgage company. You should ask the landlord to issue you a Letter of Assignment that you are henceforth liable to pay the monthly lease charges to the mortgage Company and not to the landlord. You should ask for all the terns and conditions of the Assignment.


Read more
Answered on 5/02/14, 11:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in United Kingdom