Legal Question in Personal Injury in United States

What do you ask the insurance company to compensate you for other than transferring your plates and your title/registration?

Chicago, IL | June 13, 2017

I was involved in a rear end collision (not at fault) the car behind me swerved out of the way and luckily did not hit me. But the second car behind me unfortunately struck my right backside tail light. After the accident she stated that when she realized she was coming straight at me it was too late to get out of the way but she still tried. She was deemed at fault no tickets were issued. I missed a day of work because I went to the hospital that night I was not feeling well. Also my car was considered totaled (2007 Chevy Malibu in great condition) a couple of days after my accident I was wondering what do I ask for when they give me a settlement on how much they are giving me for my car they are saying they will only give me for my title registration and plates but only $125 for all. Is there anything I can do to get more? I asked if they would give me money to replace my city sticker ($60) but they dismissed my question and said that no one had ever asked about that before.

Asked on 6/13/17, 8:57 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

So, all of your damages from this accident for which you were not responsible

including property, medical, pain and suffering, lost wages, amount to a mere $125.00?

Well, yes, apparently so, if you allow these predators to get away with it. (Best to cease your

wondering and arrange to get some advice from an attorney who can get you on

a completely different track from the one on which you're currently wandering to nowhere

in regard to the just compensation which would appear your due from this particular situation.)

Read more
Answered on 6/13/17, 9:37 pm
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You are entitled the reasonable value of your vehicle just before the accident. You need to have a valuation done or do some research on what the value would be of the car in its then condition, based on miles, etc. Your lost time from work wont be compensated. if you were injured, you should bring a personal injury claim against the appropriate party. The stickers, for parking or whatever, should be reimbursed if they were lost due to the demise of the car. Seek some legal help as Mr. Hendrickson suggests. You say Chicago? I answer this question under Florida law only.

Read more
Answered on 6/14/17, 1:03 am
Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

I suspect you are not telling us something. As the others have noted, the car must have been worth more than $125. And if the "city sticker" is required where you are, they should compensate you for it as well.

Read more
Answered on 6/14/17, 5:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in United States