Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

My ex and I are going through a contested divorce. He doesn't agree with my divorce complaint. He doesn't have a lawyer. We haven't been set a court date. He was just arrested for possession of a controlled substance and burglary 3rd. He is a convicted felon already as early as last year (theft). He has other things on his record too. Will this prolong my divorce? And what about custody of my 4 year old son? I have him now but can I get sole custody? We are in Alabama.

Asked on 7/24/16, 10:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison

From the limited information you have given, it appears you would have no problem getting custody with him visitation due to the allegations and charges pending against him as well as other items which may be on his record. Custody and child support is usually the major reasons for delay in a divorce proceeding. But without more information, it is impossible to give you an answer as to any delay.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/16, 9:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama