Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

The wife and are are seperated but she was pregnant at the time of separation. She had the baby recently but did not put me asyhe baby's last name. Is the legal.

Asked on 8/28/16, 12:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison

It depends on more information and facts. Of course you are the legal father of the child if you were married, regardless of being separated. If she did not put your name of the birth certificate, she must have stated she did not know who was the father. This really just depends on how far you want to go with this. Do you want paternity? Do you want custody? Do you want visitation? These are questions that you will need to respond to and be ready to advocate on a plan of action. If it is just a separation, you may work things out. But if you see an imminent divorce, then during the divorce these issues can be resolved and will have to be acknowledged before the court. You will certainly need a lawyer to handle these details and protect your interests that are wide open as far as the future is concerned.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/16, 2:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama