Legal Question in Immigration Law in Alabama

Passport/divorce issue

I am applying for a US passport to visit the UK in Sept. On the form it asks for the details of my divorce, which occurred in 2002 or 2003. The problem is, those records were lost in a move, and I cannot seem to locate the information. I have checked the counties where I thought it would be filed and they have no records. I have also called the lawyer I used and he has no record! I don't know how to contact the ex. I am quite sure I received the final decree-- but it is lost. Is the information absolutely neccessary for the passport? I may eventually immigrate and want to remarry so I cannot afford any problems, and I don't want to be dishonest in any way by neglecting to give the information, but I really have no idea how to find my divorce dates! Should I persist in looking or would it be ok to leave that info off the passport and ammend it later?

Asked on 5/21/09, 2:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Hanlon Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Re: Passport/divorce issue

Dear Inquirer:

A Passport application is signed under penalty of perjury, so I would exercise due diligence in locating the divorce decree and not intentionally omit any relevant information from the form.

I recommend that you email [email protected] or visit if you would like to schedule an appointment for a confidential consultation to discuss this matter further.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/09, 2:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Alabama