Legal Question in Business Law in Alaska

if i did $10,000 dollars worth of work but was never paid while the owner lives in a 5 million dollar house. what are my legal alternative for getting paid?

Asked on 4/04/11, 11:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

Does the person you did the work for own the $5,000,000 house?

You might be able to file a mechanic's lien.

In any case, if you can document that you did the work on the owner's behest, file suit. Why does the person for whom you did the work not want to pay you?

Read more
Answered on 4/04/11, 11:59 am
Kevin B. Murphy Franchise Foundations, APC

As a Franchise Attorney I ask that you clarify your question. Did you do contractor-type work on the persons house, or did you do some other type of work? For a mechanic's lien, you need to be a licensed contractor and have done contractor work on the house. If you were not a contractor, but just this person's employee (even if they styled you as an "independent contractor") you might be able to file a claim with your local employment development or labor office. Otherwise, you're left with having an attorney write a good demand letter, followed by a lawsuit if the letter does not get results. Consult with a good business or franchise attorney in your area for specific advice.

Mr. Franchise - Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.

Franchise Foundations, a Professional Corporation

Read more
Answered on 4/04/11, 4:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Alaska