Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

If my ex-husband wants to give up his rights to 3 children so my new husband can adopt them, what are the steps?

Asked on 11/21/13, 7:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fabiola Jean-Gilles Fabiola Jean-Gilles, PLC

His rights must be terminated either by agreement or if he does not agree you will have a trial. Grounds are needed to terminate his parental rights. If he is willing to consent or agree it makes it easier. Grounds typically include, but are not limited to abandonment, permanent neglect etc. Once his rights are terminated, either by consent or a trial you can then proceed to a stepparent adoption where your husband can adopt your children. The Arizona Attorney General's office will assist with the adoption, but not the termination.

Fabiola Jean-Gilles, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 11/21/13, 8:16 am
Carlie Owsley Walker The Owsley Law Firm, PLLC

So it sounds as if he is willing to sign a consent to terminate. A consent is signed, notarized and filed. Our next step would be to file for your new spouse to adopt. Several steps will need to occur including fingerprinting, background checks of you and your spouse etc. Finally, once these steps are complete, we will attend an adoption hearing to finalize the process. We offer free 30 minute consultations if you have additional questions. 623-748-8973

Best of luck!


Read more
Answered on 11/22/13, 6:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona