Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

one state honoring anothers custody orders

if my husband and i are granted full physical custody of his child in the state of california, but the childs mother flees with the child to arizona, will arizona law honor a california custody order and cooperate in helping us regain physical custody of the child

Asked on 8/25/03, 8:01 am

5 Answers from Attorneys

Patrick McCrary Law Office Of Patrick L. McCrary

Re: one state honoring anothers custody orders

Yes, Arizona courts will enforce your California order. Contact the local police department and see if they will assist you without getting an Arizona order for them to pick up the child. If you think that there is a possiblity of her running again, contact the local Arizona District Attorney to see if they can help, otherwise consult an Arizona attorney. Good Luck, Pat McCrary

Read more
Answered on 8/25/03, 10:51 am
Rich Peters R. J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

Re: one state honoring anothers custody orders


I can explain the procedures better by phone. As you can imagaine, there is too much to cover via e'mail. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss the matter in more detail.

Please call me directly to discuss the specifics of your case, or contact my assistant Audrey to schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation. I look forward to talking with you.

/s/ Rich J. Peters, Attorney


1422 N. 2nd Street, Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


602.254-1229 (facsimile)

see our web page at

Read more
Answered on 8/25/03, 11:17 am
Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: one state honoring anothers custody orders

Not sure by the facts provided if the child's mother has already taken the child to Arizona or if this is just a reasonable question on your mind. If she has, retain an Arizona atty. Can refer you if you like. Does mom have right to visitation. If so, make sure the terms and conditions and location is specifically set forth in the court order. As a parent can change her mind later and challenge custody under normal circumstances, you may be dealing with this till the child is 18. Don Holben 800-685-6950

Read more
Answered on 8/25/03, 12:02 pm

Re: one state honoring anothers custody orders

Yes, Arizona will obey the Court order. But make sure you get the custody agreement and visitation if ordered. If the mother has no right to take the child out of the state you might want to contact local enforcement. Good luck and if you need help you can call me.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/03, 2:41 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: one state honoring anothers custody orders

Get a certified copy of the custody and visitation order and contact the local district attorney and request assistance in obtaining the return of the child. The district attorney will determine whether a crime was committed in California. If the child was abducted in California the da should help you get the child returned.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/03, 10:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona