Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

My X wife and I have agreed on changing the child support. We filed it together and now I received something in the mail stating that I must have the state served. I thought we did all that when we were there filing paperwork. What must I do now?

Asked on 7/23/12, 5:06 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

Without looking at what you prepared or why the State is involved, I am not sure how we can help. If you have ever been in arrears and the State Attorney General's office was involved in collecting the child support, you must serve them with whatever you filed.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/12, 7:38 pm

Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

She must have been on state aid at some point, which makes your case a "IV-D" matter, which means the Az attorney general's office must approve your agreement. You must serve the attorney general's office, by mailing them a copy with an "Acceptance of Service" form for their signature. If you are trying to do so on your own, instructions can be found here:

OR, WE CAN ASSIST. We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 7/24/12, 7:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona