Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was a minor (around 7 yrs) involved in a large class action lawsuit, I lived in Avenal and Kettleman Hills when PG&E was polluting the ground waterl. We prevailed and I believe that my Mother held in trust money for me which I have never received. How do I go about finding out how much her settlement was and how much I would have been entitled to?

Asked on 7/25/09, 8:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Omar Habbas Law Offices of Habbas, Amendola & Nasseri

When the case was resolved, the settlement funds recovered on your behalf would have to have been placed in a blocked bank account and/or a structured settlement for your benefit. You should go to the courthouse where the lawsuit was filed and conduct a search under your mother's name and/or your name (ask the court clerk for help) regarding the action. A petition for approval of minors compromise would have been filed, which would contain the name of the bank or annuity company where the funds were placed relative to the net settlement proceeds that you received. With that information, you should be able to track your funds. If the settlement proceeds that were paid relative to your claim were over $5,000.00 and the same were not placed in a blocked trust account and/or annuity, you may have an action against your mother and the attorney who handled the case. If you require any additional information, you may call me at 800-336-7878 for free advice.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/09, 8:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California