Legal Question in Bankruptcy in California

I want to file a motion to reopen a chapter 7 in order to perfect reaffirmations on two loans I excluded and have been paying on faithfully. The reason I want to file these is so they will be reflected on my credit reports. I called the Central Court of California and they said there is a certain format that motion must be in, but that they do not have a template for it. They do have a template to reopen for an extension of time (F 5010-1.1.MOTION.REOPEN.CERT), but not for reaffirmation. So I would like to see if I can get a format or template for doing that, or find out if it is the same as the one for an extension of time, just with a change in the reasoning. I handled the original filing myself and would like to do the same with this. Thanks,

Asked on 3/14/17, 1:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Markus Law Office of Mark J. Markus

You cannot reaffirm a debt after discharge has been granted in a case. The court won't allow it. What you can do is self-report your payments and that works just as well on your credit. See my article at for more information.

Read more
Answered on 3/15/17, 9:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in California