Legal Question in Business Law in California

i got a recognition award that's states if i leave the workplace prior to 1 year i would have to pay them back in full. I live in California and was told there is a clause in calif that you don't have to pay it back. Can you please advise.

Asked on 8/15/22, 4:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

That is not correct. California's Labor Code prohibits deducting the "clawback" from your last paycheck(s), but you still owe the money back if you do not fulfill the terms of the award. If you don't repay it they can report it as a bad debt on your credit, and either turn it over to a collection agency or take you to Small Claims Court and get a judgment for it.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/22, 10:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California