Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

Type Your Question Here...The apartments I live in are refusing to fix lighting in parking lot and I was injured they refused to do anything about it when they were told of the dangerous situation. I asked my 3 neighbors if it was difficult for them to see they had all told the on-site manager about their concerns and asked for it to be fixed. Their notification of this was 1 year prior and 2 were 5 /6 most prior to when I was injured . It has been a year and still didn't get fixed. Code enforcement got involved they got fined big time for alot of negligent issues and the complaints that had been made. Resulted in retaliation and rental incresases 3 within 6 most of a total of 350. There is lighting on managers door yet problem continues We were without hot water which is included in rent contract for over a month and the rent was still increased. No laundry room privilege the manager locked it up and only told some Tennant's to ask to be let in which is impossible the on-site mgr leaves in early am the work at another complex so she can't let us in. When I complained about the hot water problem I was told if I said anything else about it I would b evicted. Is it legal for them tothreaten a Tennant with eviction for complaining about not having hot water especially because part of my health and injury includes heat and cold intolerence

Asked on 1/07/18, 9:29 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

I assume this is in California.

A landlord has an obligation to make sure that the units he or she rents are habitable, and are obligated to keep the premises safe.

It sounds like you have two issues. One is compensation for your injuries due to the lack of lighting in the parking lot. That would be a personal injury attorney. The other is to take care of your housing concerns. The latter may be something to bring to any local housing agency, or to an attorney that handles housing rights and housing discrimination.

You have rights that should be protected. Do not be afraid to reach out to someone who can assist you.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/18, 10:23 am
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Mr. Perry gave you good advice. Contact your local FEHA (fair employment and housing agency) and they'll assist you wth the complaint process.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/18, 5:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California