Legal Question in Constitutional Law in California

Where can I find a federal law which specifies a penalty for any public officials who infringe on the right of the prople to bear arms?

Asked on 12/20/22, 1:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

42 United States Code section 1983 provided for a private right to sue for civil rights violations, but it doesn't specify a penalty other than recovery of damages and a right to an injunction. There is no "penalty." That's as close as you're going to get. You should also bear in mind that the right to bear arms, like all Constitutional rights is not absolute and unlimited, but rather subject to the interpretation of the courts as to what is reasonable regulation and limitations.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/22, 6:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in California