Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I'm trying to take a civil judgement back in front of a judge to adjust interest fees because it is an insane amount. I'm being asked "what type of law in motion" to reserve a hearing. Could someone assist me with this?

Asked on 1/19/22, 2:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

I'm not sure what sort of motion you could bring. Interest on a judgment is fixed by law at 10%. If you let the judgment go unpaid the interest does add up to pretty insane, but that doesn't give the court any power to adjust it. Your only option is to negotiate with the judgment creditor for a compromise to pay it off.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/22, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California