Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

What to do after receiving a letter from a collection agency, for a debt, from 13 years ago, and from a time, you are sure you were not in the country?

I've left the United States in the late 90's; and just got back last fall.

I'm am sure this is not my debt as I never use credit card irresponsibly.

Asked on 3/22/16, 1:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerold M. Gorski Law Offices of Jerold M. Gorski

One option is to contact them directly - perhaps you are a victim of ID theft. Another option is to formally dispute it. Statutes of limitation are often tolled while the person is out of country.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/16, 5:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California