Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I am being charged with domestic violance. My girlfriend and I had an argument. She was very upset. When the cops showed up she told them I had hit her, which was not true. She now realizes that she exhaturated. I did not hit her but I did shove her face. She did not press charges but the DA is. I have court on Monday and want to have an idea of what I should expect. This is my first offense. And she also said I grabbed her by the neck for a few seconds which was also not true.

Asked on 7/20/12, 1:18 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Peter Tuann Law Office of Peter Tuann

you need an attorney, you have to plead not guilty, get the police report and complaint, continue the case 2 months out, find out who the DA is in charge of your case, next court appearance, ask for diversion, anger management class, 2 year probation, then all charges dismissed.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/12, 1:33 pm
Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

Here's the bottom line: You absolutely need an attorney. You are facing charges that could very easily land you in jail, on probation and in mandatory year-long "batterer's treatment" counseling.

Number one: Don't make any additional admissions online. These are public forums and anyone can access them.

Next: I strongly suggest you get an attorney to appear with you at your first appearance. Why? because they will make a decision about bail, restraining orders and other matters that can greatly impact your case - right from the beginning. If you cannot afford an attorney (and you won't know if you can or can't until you speak to a few and discuss the case and fees), you'll have to show up and request a public defender.

I don't know if I follow or suggest the plan of action laid out by the other attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/12, 4:01 pm
Theresa Hofmeister Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law

As above, you need an attorney, the earlier in the process the better. In the meantime, I have some posts on my blog which may be informative. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/20/12, 4:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California