Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I had a dui charge quite a few years back. Got brought in for non payment. Got bailed out. Showed up to court on assigned day. My case has been dismissed, which owe nothing for the case. Ive been keeping in contact with the bails bondsman , but have not been able to keep up with all payments. He threatened me saying if I do not pay a certain amount wishing 5 days he will bring my case to the judge and send me back to jail.

Is this legal, I have been trying to make payment arrangements for what i can afford.

Asked on 8/08/16, 11:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

If your criminal matter is closed, they cannot surrender you on the bond and have you go back into custody. It's an empty (and probably illegal) threat by them. Their remedy is to sue you.

If your case is still open though, they can surrender you to the court and ask that the bond be exonerated - that means you'd go back in unless they agreed to release you without bail or you posted another bond.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/16, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California