Legal Question in DUI Law in California

If I dont need my License anymore?

I was arrested for DUI early this year in California and I am living in Japan, I will not need a California drivers license anymore. will that help me in court? If I voluntarily relinqush my License?

Asked on 2/19/09, 2:38 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: If I dont need my License anymore?

If you hire a lawyer, the charges can usually be dealt with at a reasonable cost without your needing to return to the U.S. or your ever going to court. Why "voluntarily relinquish" your license? Usually the court will suspend it for a fixed period of time. You would probably have to take a DUI offenders' course, but maybe there is some way this and other possible court probation requirements can be fulfilled either later on, or from where you are. Do you have a court date?

Read more
Answered on 2/19/09, 2:42 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: If I dont need my License anymore?

Not likely. The court and DA will seek fines and penalties regardless. Get an attorney to help you minimize the damage or fight the case. If it is in SoCal court, feel free to contact me if serious about getting that help.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/09, 1:36 pm
George Moschopoulos The Law Office of George Moschopoulos

Re: If I dont need my License anymore?

You can take care of this with the help of a local attorney. You will likely not have to appear. If you are serious about getting help, feel free to contact us.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/09, 9:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California