Legal Question in Education Law in California

Can a California State University hire someone convicted of a DUI as an Instructional Technologist? My former supervisor came into work intoxicated and sexually harassed me and my co-worker. We were new interns at the school and students at the institution as well. Inclusively he threatened to kill me if I told anyone. I went to the University Police and submitted my report to them and pressed charges. Police later told me that they found his criminal record but they couldn't tell me what they found. I found a public record of him and it says he was convicted of a DUI. He was fired immediately since he had just started working there. I already submitted a complaint with the school and it was proven that I was verbally and sexually harassed. Can I sue the school or do some form of mediation? Or has my right to sue been lost? I'm still within the one year mark since I put in my complaint. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Asked on 8/10/14, 6:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

You can bring a civil complaint for the "sexual harassment", though I'm not sure how successful you would be. If you were to do that, the police record and other misdeeds of the defendant would be discoverable. Why do you think you have an action against CSU? A DUI doesn't necessarily put them on notice that the guy will sexually assault someone, so I don't see a viable action against the university system.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/14, 6:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California