Legal Question in Education Law in California

I have an interview next week, if I'm offered the job the employer is asking that I submit official transcripts. I owe UCLA about $8000 and they won't release my transcripts. Is it legal for them to withhold transcripts if I need them for a new job?

Asked on 5/19/14, 6:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys


Read more
Answered on 5/19/14, 6:56 pm
Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

They can withhold "official" transcripts for non-payment. However, under FERPA, they are required to provide you with an unofficial transcript. Your transcript is also a "student record" which must be produced under California state law. If your employer wants an official transcript, you won't be able to produce one until you pay the $8000. On the other hand, most employers don't require an official transcript. If you were applying to grad school or professional school, another university would require an official transcript.

Read more
Answered on 5/19/14, 7:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California