Legal Question in Education Law in California

Can parents retain their child a grade in school in the state of California if they feel their child is not mature enough or too young for their grade level?

Asked on 8/06/12, 1:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Allison Arkin Law Offices of Allison Arkin

In California, a school may promote a child to the next grade without parental approval. However, parents have the right to appeal a school's decision to promote their child. For children middle school and above, districts must have specific criteria that must be met by a student before moving to the next grade. See Education Code section 48070.5(a)(5).

Read more
Answered on 8/06/12, 3:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California