Legal Question in Elder Law in California

What can I do to protect my mother's assets? My stepfather and mother live in Oregon and I live in California. He has put my mother in a care facility for her "dementia". He has acquired POA. He moved in his girlfriend to the family home. He has given my mother's jewelry away to his girlfriend's daughter. He is in the process of selling the family home. He told someone in the family that because I was going to seek legal help in regards to my mother's situation this man said he was changing my mother's will to leave me $10 if I tried to interfere.

Asked on 5/31/19, 12:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

You may want to contact Adult Protective Services for the County in Oregon. Does your mother have capacity? You should consult with an attorney in Oregon

Read more
Answered on 5/31/19, 12:25 pm
Timothy McCormick Schneider, Holtz & Hutchison

Agree with Aaron. Contact the authorities in Oregon. If what you describe is true, the POA is invalid and he is committing numerous Elder Financial Abuse crimes.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/19, 12:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California