Legal Question in Family Law in California

Upon my divorce, I made an agreement to pay alimony for five years, $900 a month.

I have three years left, and have offered to pay her the balance in a lump sum (cash).

Roughly $32,000 - which she has accepted. I want to know if there is a way to make sure this will not come back to bite me. How do I "KNOW" she can't later try to fleece me for more money, or when she blows it in six months, come back for more? In short, how can I be done with her forever?

Asked on 8/29/16, 2:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Contact a family law attorney and prepare a stipulation that modifies the order for the payment of $500 per month for a lump sum payment for the last three years. Upon payment of thelump sum spousal support will go to zero and terminates. Pay the $32,000 after she signs and court makes it an order.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/16, 4:08 pm
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Mr. Johnson is correct. Also make sure you use a qualified family law attorney. There are important things to put in such a stipulation to make sure the court is thereafter precluded from considering any further modification of the support order.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/16, 11:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California