Legal Question in Family Law in California

If I retype my outdated will and revocable trust in order to make changes in trustees, beneficiaries and allocations, does that mean that it is a new trust and I need to change checking accounts, etc. -- ie if the trust title includes "Dated January 1, 1990" and I update it on August 30, 2021, will that change the name of the trust? Is a lawyer necessary for changing trustees, beneficiaries and allocations in a will?

Asked on 8/30/21, 2:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

If you make it an amendment, rather than a new date, you can avoid changing account names.

A lawyer is cheap insurance against messing something up that has consequences after you pass. If you really know what you are doing, a lawyer is not necessary, but you could make things difficult and expensive for your heirs and beneficiaries if you get something wrong, and minor amending and updating shouldn't be very expensive.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/21, 1:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California