Legal Question in Family Law in California

Neither my son or my ex-wife will give me a copy of his high school diploma. He turned 18 years old before he graduated. The Family Law Facilitator that I spoke to told me I would need a copy of his diploma. I have to modify my divorce decree regarding child support because there is nothing stating the child support will stop or change when your child turns 18 or graduate from high school. I have another son who is 16, he'll graduate in 3 years he was held back in middle school

Asked on 6/25/16, 3:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

The law says support continues until the supported child turns 18 AND graduates from high school, OR turns 19. Not sure why you'd need a diploma if the child turned 18 and graduated, unless the other parent contends he has still not graduated, in which case the burden of proof is on her to show he is still in high school on a full time program (5 hours or more a day).

Read more
Answered on 6/25/16, 6:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California