Legal Question in Family Law in California

I have a son who is Down Syndrome. Since he was born i have been his SSA payee and I am also his IHSS provider. My understanding is that when he turns 17 years old I will have to file paperwork with the court in Ventura Co, California ( where we live ) to continue being his guardian. He is non verbal and not able to do much for himself. If I dont apply will the state take him ? How do I go about filing the correct papers so that I do not lose him ? If he were to be taken it would kill us both.

Asked on 7/05/16, 7:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

When your son turns 18 he is an adult you will need to establish a court ordered guardianship or conservatorship before then.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/16, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California