Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I apologize if I didn’t choose the correct type of law that this question is.

My boyfriend purchased a vehicle from my parents about 9 months ago. My parents filled out a release of liability and signed the title over to him. My boyfriend never registered the car in his name nor got a new title in his name for the car. A few months later the car was totaled while parked on a busy street. (Night before the accident, my boyfriend had been driving doing doughnuts in the street and hit a curb. The cars tire got pushed in so it was not driveable. He had to have it towed to the location it was parked at when the accident occurred the very next morning.

A few days after the car was hit and “totaled” he had the car towed to my house and had it parked in my driveway. Car was only supposed to be parked here a few days. It’s been 4 months now and we have since broken up and I made him move out. (Due to him getting abusing with me) I want the car removed from my property. It was only supposed to be here a couple days not indefinitely . What are my legal rights to having this car removed or towed away? I believe Title is still in my mothers name as he never registered the vehicle and the title he has for the car is still in my moms name. We are in Los Angeles , california of that info helps .

Asked on 3/30/21, 2:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You can have any car parked on your property without your permission towed away. Have your parents check with the DMV to make sure that they have properly disclaimed ownership and aren't on insurance for the car. Then call your local police, ask them if they can have it towed, and if not, ask them what tow company(ies) in your town handle towing and impound of abandoned vehicles. Then, if you have contact, give the exBF 48 hours to get it off your property or you will have it towed.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/21, 4:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California