Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle I don’t have an attorney and the defendant’s attorney has sent me paperwork that says “motion summary “ What does that mean and what do I need to do next?

Asked on 9/24/20, 5:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

It sounds like the documents the lawyer sent to you is a motion for summary judgment. You should get legal help -- at least to respond to the motion. If you don't, you'll probably lose your case. You will be required to provide the court with evidence that there are issues in question that should be brought to a jury or the judge who tries the case. This all has to be done in writing and with evidence that supports your claim -- doctor's bills, police reports, declarations from experts who have investigated the accident, and/or witnesses to the accident. Get yourself legal help as soon as possible if you want to keep your case going.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/20, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California