Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

My sister filed a suit against a doctor and hospital for performing an unnecessary heart surgery. With the suit, a Declaration As To Heirs And Successor In Interest, in which I and my other siblings were named. The case was settled out of court and the settlement agreement was not filed with the court. I have been advised that the settlement was for $500,000 ($100,000) for each of us, however, my sister never informed us of the suit, and she did not give us any of the money. I have asked the attorney for a copy of the settlement, but they would not provide it. Is there a way I can get a copy of that settlement? Since our names are listed in the Declaration, are we entitled to a portion of the settlement?

Asked on 7/30/12, 3:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Three questions:

1) Was this a wrongful death case? You don't tell us whether your sister survived the unnecessary surgery.

2) Were you a party to the lawsuit? If so, explain your nature, which may be explained by your answer to question number one.

3) Were you a party to the settlement agreement?

Read more
Answered on 7/30/12, 3:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California