Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

will my old dui affect my applying for green card through the marriage

Asked on 9/14/09, 4:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Generally speaking, one DUI that was a misdemeanor should not affect your ability to get your permanent residency. You should be prepared to have records of the conviction and show that probation is over, and perhaps demonstrate other proof that you are, and have been since then, an upstanding citizen in the community (e.g., letters from church, or other organizations attesting to your good moral character, and proof that you do not have an alcohol dependency problem). It would be important to review the dates of when the DUI occurred and the date that you were legally admitted to the U.S., etc. to know the best time to apply for the green card. I'd be happy to further discuss these issues with you and do recommend using an attorney. I can be reached through email at : [email protected] or office: 415-387-1364.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/09, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California