Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

Hello, I was a victim of the Sand Canyon Fire CA in July 2016. My house did not burn just smoke/ash damage. I received a letter in the mail stating if you hire this lawyer they will get you money to fix your house . They will take a third of the settlement, I signed there contract agreeing. The day the insurance company came the lawyers were "no shows". My damages were $1010, I had a $1000 deductible. The lawyer kept $3 and sent me a check for $7. I have not heard from them ever since I joined up, now a year later they have sent me a "Fee Splitting" Agreement I guess there entering into with another law firm now. They want to proceed with a class action lawsuit. It states its between them but 70% of my settlement will go to this new law firm and 30% will go to the original lawyer. I asked them why it states that 100% of my settlement will be theres. They said "no this contract is between the new law firm and they will only get 70% of the initial 33% I agreed to. Its rather confusing as you can see. They want me to sign this contract and if I don't I guess I am responsible for fees because I got out before they were done. The contract I do not understand and I have called them with very vague answers. I want someone to read it and advise me. I just learned the computer and only know how to forward the contract from there. If you could help advise me I would be very grateful as I cannot afford a Lawyer and do not know what to do here? I need help ASAP. My email is [email protected]. My phone #818 365 7995. Thank you, Nancy Anderson

Asked on 7/18/17, 4:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


From the Malibu Canyon fires, to the San Diego fires, to the Tea Fire, the Jesusita fire, the Station Fire, the Sylmar fire, the Poe fire, I have seen insurers refuse to resolve claims for smoke damage. And then there are those lawyers and public adjusters that prey on people who need help. I'm sorry. Please contact me 916-697-5692 and if there is a way to help you I will try.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/17, 11:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California