Legal Question in Employment Law in California


My question regards an attempt to blacklist by management of a former employer, which can be verified. How long do I have to file a claim? How much compensation can be expected, and what is the % success rate? Also, I had filed a claim with the labor board before quitting the aforementioned employer (for labor violations) and was clearly the victim of a retaliatory attempt to intimidate, which was witnessed by 3 other people. How long do I have to file on that issue? Can the two be tied together? How do I find a lawyer for this issue?

Asked on 7/13/01, 1:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Harrison Spivak & Harrison

Re: Blacklisting/Retaliation

Typically, you have one year in which to file a claim for defamation of character (i.e. slander, libel) or wrongful termination in violation of public policy.

With regard to the likelihood of success, each case is different. Speak to an employment lawyer about your case to determine its merits.

David G. Spivak, Esq.

Spivak & Harrison, LLP

10100 Santa Monica Blvd.

Suite 800

Los Angeles, CA 90067

Tel (310) 772-2274

Fax (310) 772-2273

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 7/17/01, 11:43 pm

Re: Blacklisting/Retaliation

You certainly need to pursue this action. Tortious Retailatory Discharge in Violation of Public Policy allows for general damages, and punitive damages. I have won a Court of Appeals decision precisely on the issue of retailiation based upon Labor Comissioner complaint. Please call me directly at (619) 222-3504.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/01, 3:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California