Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

We (4 people) had a 1 year contract and now its on month to month. Two of us wants to move out but apartment management doesnot allow partial moveout. Either other two have to qualify for the contract or everyone have to move out. But other two people doesn’t want to move out and doesn’t qualify for the apartment contract. Now i am stuck in the contract. Its been two month and they are not doing anything. How do i get out of the contract?

Asked on 3/07/19, 6:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You tell the people who want to stay to find new roommates to qualify or move out. If they don't, give 30-days notice of termination of the entire rental contract to the landlord and move out within those 30 days. The landlord will then evict those who stay. It is possible the landlord will name you in the unlawful detainer, but you would then cross-complain for indemnity from the people who stayed and they would be ordered to reimburse you for any judgment. Not an ideal situation but other than staying, that's really your only option.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/19, 5:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California