Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in California

I am being sued by a client of my dead husband for the return of legal fees. I had nothing to do with the accounting and never had access to the trust account. He is suing me in small claims court. There has not been probate because the executor named in the will decided he did not want to do the job, and resigned recently. The "estate" is worth less than $15,000. Shouldn't issues like this be handled by the state bar? Isn't there a fund for clients who didn't get money back from their attorneys? Can you sue a spouse in small claims court for fees not earned or returned by a dead attorney? There is money in the trust account, but I can't even see how much because that was always restricted.

Asked on 9/30/21, 5:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Contact the state bar for help accessing the account and reimbursing any unearned fees.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/21, 9:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in California