Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was in a hit and run accident I was on my motorcycle and the other party ran a stop sign and hit me at 65mph I lost my left leg below the knee and had 3 of y vertebrae shaved down and metal plates in my neck I do have an attorney but he's only going after there insurance and that only liability so 15k I keep telling him I want to file a civil lawsuit but he doesn't want to do it can I drop him and get another attorney even though I've received money only from my insurance and still fighting with the other party's insurance

Asked on 7/22/21, 9:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Wow, I am very sorry to hear of your tragic case. To answer your question, yes, you may change lawyers freely and without any financial penalty to you. You only pay one lawyer fee even if you change more than once. The problem that I see here is the availability of sources of compensation. Perhaps that insurance policy is the only source. Therefore, your attorney is limiting the matter to the policy only. This has to be carefully investigated. First, you should check and see what type of assets the at fault party has. Second, check to see if he was involved in the course and scope of employment when this accident happened. Third, investigate potential other causes for the accident, such as road design defect issues, lack of visibility of the stop sign, etc. I simply do not know what type of facts you have, but would recommend you to have a frank discussion with your lawyer to see if all potentially liable parties have been vetted out and all recovery sources have been considered. Make sure you're not dealing with someone who is incompetent or lazy.

Take care,

Read more
Answered on 7/22/21, 11:47 pm
Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez & Associates

I am the founder of , I have ridden motorcycles for over 45 years, and am in a motorcycle club myself. You should consult with one of us on here ASAP to see what can be done.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/21, 3:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California