Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I went to lunch with my neighbor a week ago, shortly before arriving at the restaurant he started to make inappropriate personal comments I tried to change subject without success. Eventually I told him this was unacceptable and I didn't want to have lunch with him after all and drove right back. The situation though unpleasant wasn't particularly heated we are just neighbors with casual acquaintance.

Few days later I received a text from him, saying I have delusional paranoid psychosis and I should take appropriate medications. Also he accused me "endangering his life with my erratic, aggressive driving" and warned me "not to pursue any further threats or assault on me".

I was very surprised by these outrageous lies. I only pointed out his personal comments were unacceptable and we are just too incompatible to continue going to lunches. In the car he never said anything about my driving, and he texted me shortly after the trip to thank me for driving. I did nothing remotely close to being threats or assaults.

I did not respond to his text. Two days later he sent another text saying he alerted police, family etc about my behavior. “If any injury or harm comes to me, you will immediately be the number one prim suspect”. I did not reply to this text either.

Most likely he is just acting up to release the anger of rejection. But I’m somewhat concerned he might be trying to cook up some lawsuit against me for money. The probability is low but I want to be prepared.

Is there anything I can and should do to protect myself?

Asked on 9/26/22, 6:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You should have as little contact with him as possible. Use your phone blocking feature to block texts from him and make a screenshot of his entry in your address book showing he is blocked. Do not speak to him. Avoid him in the neighborhood. Make screenshots of the texts to date. If his behavior continues, you probably will need to take the proactive step of seeking a civil harassment restraining order.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/22, 8:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California